August 26, 2015 / Foodstrr
Posole is a delicious side dish that can be served with several toppings. It can be eaten by itself, or it can be served with shredded cabbage, sliced radish, or chopped onions.
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 carrots (large, chopped)
- 3 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cans low-sodium hominy (about 30 ounces)
- 1 can canned chicken (about 12 ounces)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or jalapeño chilies (seeds removed and finely chopped, optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium-size pot, brown onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in vegetable oil over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add hominy, chicken, and water. If using cayenne pepper, jalapeño chilies, chili powder, or oregano, add that too. Mix well.
- Bring pot to a boil. Lower heat and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Recipe and Photo: What’s Cooking?